Assignment 2: Music Video Production

Assignment 2: Music Video Production

Introduction -


For my music video production I will be creating a video for the song "look right through". My artist choice is "Storm Queen" this is the music production name they created for their albums, the band that works in "Storm Queen" is known as "Metro Arena" they created the very popular "look right through" which made it number 1 in the UK charts in 2013 and this will be my song that I will be using for my music video.


Meaning and Analysis -



When looking at the lyrics of this song, the whole theme of the song is being ignored by people in general so society, family or friends. The song starts off with "talk to me, baby" and repeats this several times, this is suggesting that he is trying to get attention of someone/girlfriend/wife and is trying to get her to communicate and tell him information or in anything wrong, a lot of people have experienced this sort of situation in a relationship and will be able to relate to this lyric. The next verse "I'm quite sure, that you never knew, all the pain that I’ve been through" suggests that this person or people that he knew have cause him pain in the past and that the people he knows in the present don't know this information or his history suggesting that no one gets close to him. But then this idea gets flipped on its head almost when he suggests he has been homeless on the streets for seven years "Seven long years, of moving on the streets" now this gives the previous lyrics a different meaning as it suggests that people don’t know the pain he’s been through because people don’t talk to him because he’s homeless this means people have basically been ignoring him as this is a problem with our society they ignore and don’t communicate with people who are homeless and they are often left alone hence why people don’t get close enough to know what he’s been through especially the lyrics after "But they don’t talk to me". Then throughout the rest of the song he repeats "they look right through, that morning" for the chorus again suggesting people just ignore him and don’t identify him at all. He also mentions "I’m alone again" again backing up the idea that the song is about being homeless and society almost punishing the homeless. So my theory on this song is that it is explaining the idea of being homeless and how people ignore and do not recognize homeless people as being anyone important or identifiable.

Music Track Information


So there is a shortened remix and an extended remix of this song, the extended version lasts for about 5 minutes however the shorter MK remix only lasts 3 minutes, I will be choosing the shorter more popular MK remix version as it is more popular so people will be more familiar with it, but also because I believe 5 minutes is very difficult to then put to a music video as a longer duration needs much more content, also audiences can tend to get bored of the song or video after a while, I feel using the extended would be pushing it, also 3 minutes is around the average duration of a music track unlike the 5 minute version. This songs pace and tone is fairly quick and upbeat it gives a very fun, less serious vibe and is very amusing, with a constant beat in the background helping with the songs upbeat tone. I feel like with its upbeat tone it tries to hide its deeper message as it’s about ignoring people in general so you'll be doing what the lyrics are suggesting ignoring or not realizing the meaning behind the lyrics. I also feel that the music video that goes with the original track also helps to distract you from the serious deep lyrics unlike the video and the tone.

Music Video Panning

I will 100% will be shooting my entire music video myself, I will not be using any stock footage, this will make my work completely my own and original helping to stay away from any copyright issues with my video.
Locations I will be using for my music video will be Middlesbrough College, for its lift and room facilities and also Middlesbrough streets. I feel like these locations will go very well with the tracks tone. I will also film at a house for a scene where I could try and imply a stronger back story 
For actors in my music video I will be using a minimum of 4 actors some of them being Ryan Marr, Myself, Ruaridh Thomas and Kieran Atkins I feel like using my tutors will give a great comedy vibe to my video and although this makes my video personally funny to me and people who recognize the tutors, this shows a good example of who I could use in a professional video (I could use celebrities).
So mainly similar to the original music video for the song I will be going for a more comedic vibe for the lyrics giving it an less serious tone, however the content in my video will be far different. I also have some great ideas for cutting to the beat and using long takes which the original music video did not take advantage of.
My main inspiration for this music video is the original music video, as I love its unique, fun yet almost unsettling at first vibe, however my main inspiration for tone is "OK Go Here it goes again" as this proves you don't need a  great budget or big stunts to make a great music video, so I am sort of going for a similar idea on that mine is on a micro budget and I'm gonna try and capture a similar mood from these videos.
The general idea is for the actors to move with the camera whilst dancing and singing. I will try and get enough footage as possible so that I can as best content as possible, I'm going to try give a character a quick cameo in out class although audiences who don't know them would not understand its purpose, if I had a big budget they could be replaced with celebrities for now I'm just getting the general idea. I will also manipulate scenes with text and colour to add to some scenes of the video I will use this to intensify and exaggerate themes and scenes and to also hopefully add some comedy to scenes. For colour grading I want to give the scenes a fairly high contrast so that the tones show out really well to help match the theme, for the morph suits scene I will increase the saturation and vibrancy to go with the vibe and theme of that scene. I want the scenes to have a pinkish purplish tone to it to try and help add to the general theme of the video.

This is some quick Music Video Directions I made to help me note down the main idea and sequence of my music video, this really helped me to flesh out my idea and display it in a simple easy to use and understand format such as word, this is a basic version of a script for my music video.
Here is my storyboard for my music video. This story board has been done to give me a visual and written idea of what my music video could look like. The idea was to start off with a shot of the lift opening and then the character exiting the lift, with the music starting when the lift opens, this means that the visuals are connecting with the audio. The character was then to walk through the building and sing to the song, where the camera will introduce a new character with a whip pan and they will be dancing on the office chairs, spinning around and sliding around on them. It was then going to quickly go through to the next room which would be sped up and introduce my character where I will raise my arm up to click and when I do my background would change to a new location and my appearence would change as I would be dressed differently (in a morph suit). I was then going to have myself dancing around town in a morph suit. Then with the next chorus to have a montage of all of our characters dancing seperately. all characters were then going to leave by using the elevator from the start apart from myself in the morphsuit who goes into the bathroom which then is revealed to be a teacher in the costume the whole time this ending has not been used for my final music video. A seperate ending was made, instead Ryan would be dancing around a unknown car at the end until Kieran (the car owner) sees him when he runs away this is a similar ending to the one I chose to use in my music video.

Here is my final correctly formatted script that I have wrote for my music video, this is also my final decision of what will happen in my music video.







Here is my final chosen cast for my music video, there roles and what they will be involved in.


Here are my release forms that I got off my cast.


Here is my schedual for my music video, this helped me orginise for when and where I needed to film, it also helped to inform my cast and crew on when I needed them.
Here is my risk assesment for my music video, this ensures all my cast and crew will be safe during production.





Here is my production log for my music video.








Here is the final music video, uploaded to vimeo.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Animation Assignment 1

Music Video Directions

Production File Week 8